Senior Backend Developer
Want to be part of making a real difference to people’s lives?
Settld has one simple goal: use technology to remove all unnecessary admin around death, giving people back the time and space to focus on what matters most. We started by automating the process of notifying multiple companies when someone dies, and then transparently resolving each account request with live status tracking. The result is that we interface with over 800 organisations to turn 10 hours of headache into a 15 minute stress free task for our users, landing us a net promoter score of 97.
Settld is a TechStars 2021 company, a Barclays Bank ‘Eagle Labs’ company, supported by the UK Law Society, and a TechNation ‘Rising Star’. We were nominated by the Lisbon Web Summit as a ‘ones to watch’ Breakout Startup, have already won 3 business awards, and are regularly featured in national TV, radio and press for our ‘tech for good’ solution. All this is made possible because of our brilliant team: we’re a friendly group of product, marketing, engineering, operations and finance minds, with international experience built across Tech, VC, Media and Startup. What brings us together is the desire to use our brain power to help others. Settld has raised ~$1M to date, and is now gearing up for the next funding round.
What is the role?
Settld is built with cutting edge technologies such as Elixir, running on AWS. The mission of the Sr Backend Dev is to help Settld scale its automation and machine learning to the next level. Settld wants to solve ‘death admin’ problems at a global scale, so whoever we take on should be excited by the idea of joining a technical team which will make big things happen. The right candidate to come on board will contribute towards a backend API serving the frontend, as well as our internal back-office, keeping a keen eye on Security at all times.
As a Senior Backend Developer, you:
- Will have at least one significant experience in architecture, coding and deploying applications that require more complex logic, ie aggregating data from different tables into composite queries, and accepting and verifying webhooks from various providers.
- Know how to start modeling data structures based on entity relationship diagrams.
- Have experience with or knowledge of Postgres, Docker and AWS.
- Are fluent in Elixir with Ecto and Phoenix.
- Will be fluent in testing the code you produce, whether in units or integration formats.
- Are curious and like to ask questions as they come - you don’t let a blocker waste your day and take immediate action when you encounter an impediment.
- Are communicative with the rest of the team and used to a startup environment where lots of things are happening all at once.
- Understand the implications of choices when it comes to security.
- Own your backlog entries!
You’re likely to be someone who:
- Loves problem solving and interested in fixing social impact issues.
- Thrives in uncertainty - ideally you will have spent time in a start-up before.
- Has a proven track record of taking ideas and bringing them to life.
- Has knowledge of a range of current product development frameworks.
- Has worked on a diverse set of backend or full stack technologies including experience with web, mobile, data and infrastructure.
- Actively seeks to test, learn and iterate based on user feedback.
- Has an appetite for experimenting with new technologies and tools to drive innovation and creativity.
- (The ‘cherry on top’ but not essential) Has experience in building B2B SaaS platforms.
Can you fly another country flag?
Settld has built a diverse culture, with an existing team of 12 representing 8 nationalities. All applicants to this role will receive consideration for employment without discrimination.
- Interview with our CEO (30 minutes)
- Interview with the CTO (30 minutes)
- Interview with the team (2x30 minutes)
Competitive salary and equity.
We are also hiring for a Head of Technology. If that sounds more like you, or someone you know, please let us know!