Can I apply for Probate by myself?
Yes, you can. Applying for probate is relatively straightforward when the estate is simple and the terms of the will are clear. The forms are available online and to download. The cost for submitting an application is £273. Make sure you remember to apply for additional sealed copies of the Grant of Representation at £1.50 per item.
If you are thinking about applying for probate yourself use Settld’s award winning service for fast-track preparation of the Probate application. Distribute the estate to beneficiaries faster and avoid hours of admin.
When should I get help?
If the estate is complicated then legal advice might be helpful. It’s worth seeking help if any of the following apply:
- The terms of the will are unclear
- Some/all of the beneficiaries are under 18 years of age
- There are funds held in a trust
- There is property abroad
- The person who died owned a business
- Anyone is likely to dispute the will
- If there is an unreasonable delay in dealing with the estate or executors appear to have misused their legal powers
Legal fees for this help can be paid from the estate.
Settld can help you navigate through your options. As part of our probate preparation service we offer a free no obligation call from an approved probate specialist.
Have a look at our FAQs section for more guidance.
What is the Process?
The process of gaining a grant of probate involves:
- Valuing the estate including properties, bank, savings, credit cards, loans and investments, service accounts such as utilities etc.
- Telling HMRC how much the estate is worth
- Completing the probate forms (online or by post) and paying the Probate Fee of £273* unless the estate is worth less than £5,000 in which case it’s free. At the same time you must:
- Complete Inheritance Tax forms and paying any tax due
- Administering the estate (after the Probate Application is complete)
- Place an Advert in The Gazette
- Gathering in the assets or their value
- Distributing inheritances to the beneficiaries
Or save time and money using Settld to close all accounts and prepare you for probate. Click here for more details.
*The fee for applying for probate yourself is £273 in England and Wales. It’s free if the estate is worth less than £5,000. (In Northern Ireland it costs £261). In Scotland Grant of Confirmation for Estates valued above £50,000 up to £250,000 is £276 (above that it’s £554).
Extra copies of the Probate Grant will cost £1.50.