If the person who died owned the property, it is likely that you will need to apply for Probate or a Letter of Administration. Whilst you are going through this process, the energy provider will transfer the existing account into an Executor’s account. The energy supply will remain on, and will not be charged to the account, so long as the usage remains at an acceptable minimum. Once you have Probate or a Letter of Administration, please contact the energy provider directly to let them know.